March 25, 2010

bdsm and music

Yes, two of my favourite things!

In the past years I've come across plenty of songs with a bdsm theme (or at least a mention of something bdsm-related), I'm going to try to list them all now.

First of all, the IAMX - Kiss & Swallow album. About most of the songs on it have some bdsm theme. The most obvious one is "Naked but safe". Some of the lyrics: "the least wishes are orders, born, raised and corned, I was kept fed and watered, tie me to the radiator". Another one is Sailor ("In my cell, you ask me if I wanna be a sailor. Freeway, three-way, take me like a sailor" - sounds like roleplay to me, and when he performs this song live he sometimes adds "this is for you bi-curious people out there"). There's plenty of other songs with a bdsm link, like You stick it in me, Kiss and swallow, Your joy is my low and I like pretending. While I wouldn't necessarily call the album bdsm-themed, the lyrics certainly appeal to me as much as the music (electro, sorta Depeche Mode I guess). It's one of my favourite albums of the past 10 years. As my last.fm account can testify, You stick it in me has been one of the songs I listened to the most in the years that I used that service. So addicting. So filthy. So good.

Depeche Mode obviously have a few songs as well. I've heard that Martin Gore is somewhat of a submissive, and some lyrics are definitely bdsm-related. Master and servant being the most obvious one. The recent album has a song called In chains, but just like Master & Servant, it can be interpreted in more than one way. That ambigioty is proof that Gore is a great songwriter.

Peaches, our favourite Canadian ex-teacher-turned-musician, also has a few interesting songs. Obviously one of my favourites is I U She. Not only does it mention whips, crops, canes and shorts of leather, it also has the lovely line "I don't have to make the choice, I like girls and I like boys". Another great song on the Fatherfucker album is Operate (roleplay). The first time I saw her live, some of the girls on stage were tied up, and then later they tied Peaches up. And then there's that line in Kick it, a duet with Iggy Pop. Iggy: "I heard you like kinky shit." Peaches: "That just depends who I'm with!"

Even though none of their songs mention it, Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft used to dress in black leather. They definitely have some dirty songs, like Rote Lippen (sounds like someone masturbating while watching an actress on tv) and In Dschungel der Liebe ("the jungle of love is moist and hot"). Love em.

That's all I can think of for now. If you know any more, feel free to let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews past week