February 4, 2012

rauber: what's in a name?

Some blog talk first: I got a lot more blog visits in January than I did in December. It's good to see that most visits come from links on other blogs (thanks to everyone who put me on their blog list!) and the "blogs I'm following" list. Looking at the more detailed statcounter.com stats, it seems like I'm getting more and more regular readers. I guess I'm doing something right...right? Also, I'm getting a lot of views in recent days, twice as many as normal really. I guess because I did a post with pictures again, but also because @DarkSunny69 retweeted the link to my blog. You can read his blog here: http://erectionary.blogspot.com/
Again, if you have any comments about my blog, about the content or form, negative or positive, or just want to tell me to shut up: feel free to write a comment. I have this formspring thing as well, feel free to ask me questions on that as well.

So, my name. What's a rauber? Well, I should write it as Räuber really, since it's a German word. It means something like robber, or bandit. How did I come across this word? A song, Der Räuber und der Prinz, from Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft. D.A.F. are a electropunk duo who were popular in the early 80s. I'll let Wikipedia explain things further (the "style" bit is very much worth reading in my opinion), all I'm going to say is that they're one of my favourite bands, I still listen to them regularly, and I've been lucky enough to see them live (twice!). They, together with Suicide and Kraftwerk (who I both love as well), have been quite influential to a lot of my favourite "modern" bands. It's pretty awesome to think that most of this music was written before I was born, and that I still enjoy it just as much (maybe even more so) than modern bands. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, my favourite period in music history is from 1977 to around 1984. It had the best pop, punk and electronic music, and D.A.F. is a good mix of those three genres.

Anyway, Der Räuber und der Prinz is one of my favourite songs of theirs. The story is a bit fairytale-like: a bunch of robbers attack a prince in a forest, but one of the robbers falls in love with the prince...and the prince falls in love with the robber. Romantic, isn't it? The song is actually a bit creepy, and the video even more so, but still. I love it. It's one of their most straight-forward "gay" songs (when it comes to the lyrics at least), though a lot of their songs have an aggressive (homo)erotic undertone. This one is actually rather slow compared to the rest of their work.

So that explains where I got the name from, but why did I use it for kinky purposes? I can't give a direct answer to that, that word just stuck with me I guess. I might have been listening to this song when I was trying to come up with an alias for my kinky adventures. And I guess I'm looking for my prince to fall in love with :D ...Yeah okay that was very sappy, I apologise.
Lately I've been getting tired of the name, and the direct meaning of it (I mean, I'm not a robber in any sense), but now that I made this post, I feel better about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews past week